2005-07-10

A message from the Chair

Good evening.

This is the 57th time I have spoken to you from this office, where so many decisions have been made that shaped the history of this meta-blog. Each time I have done so to discuss with you some matter that I believe affected the blog’s interests.

In all the decisions I have made in my public life, I have always tried to do what was best for the blog. Throughout the long and difficult period of Heisenbergate, I have felt it was my duty to persevere, to make every possible effort to complete the term of office to which you entrusted me.

In the past few days, however, it has become evident to me that I no longer have a strong enough political base in the ESI to justify continuing that effort. But the interest of the blog must always come before any personal considerations.

From the discussions I have had with the Ethics Committee and other ESI members, I have concluded that because of the Heisenbergate matter I might not have the support of the ESI’ers that I would consider necessary to back the very difficult decisions and carry out the duties of this office in the way the interests of the blog would require.

I have never been a quitter. To leave office before my term is completed is abhorrent to every instinct in my body. But as Chair, I must put the interest of the ESI first. The ESI needs a full-time Chair and a full-time Ethics Committee, particularly at this time with problems we face with rogue posters at home and abroad.

To continue to fight through the months ahead for my personal vindication would almost totally absorb the time and attention of both the Chair and the Ethics Committee in a period when our entire focus should be on the great issues such as who will the 5M sleep with next or to what extent is M asexual.

Therefore, I shall resign the Chairmanship effective at noon tomorrow. Conch Shell will be sworn in as Chair at that hour in this office.

To have served in this office is to have felt a very personal sense of kinship with each and every blogger. In leaving it, I do so with this prayer: May the blog’s grace be with you in all the days ahead.

4 comments:

coyote said...

Well this is a surprise -- you've always had my full support, chair, except, of course, when I was sittin' on you. You have acted throughout with consumate deftness, grace and gravitas. You won't reconsider?

Whatever you decide, I hope that you will be continuing with us in an independent capacity, and so carry the balance of power in future blog votes -- unless, of course, Belinda unexpectedly crosses the floor and screws up our already-too-close-to-call ratios.

4th Dwarf said...

What sort of wanking cr*p is this? I like Conchie 'n' all but who's to say she has the confidence of the rest of us?

And what happens with the names? Will you switch?

coyote said...

I shall someday have to thank those pesky 18th century Jesuit missionaries (who were so hell-bent on my personal destruction) for the over-determined biblical instruction.

The particular chapter-and-verse refers to a bunch of Pharisees about to stone a woman allegedly nabbed in the act of adultery. (We are not talking doggy drugs here.) And they all pretty much slunk, when confronted by Mr. J. hisself.

The followup bit is this little gem:

"Even if I do bear witness to myself, my testimony is true, for I know whence I have come and whither I am going, but you do not know whence I come or whither I am going..."

So hey, Sixth Shade: Whither?

Anonymous said...

One and all owes the Chair a debt of thanks for his noble service. As I once noted, the ultimate measure of a piece of furniture is not where it stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where it stands at times of challenge and controversy. Rest easy, Chair. Welcome, Conch Chair. Let us continue our journey together, embracing peace and harmony.