2006-06-08

Personal Trainer Update 2: Caught in a Lie

Olga caught me in a lie. When she asked me in our last session how far my home was from my workplace, I told her it was a 20-minute bike ride. It is really only a
10-minute bike ride. I didn't realize that Olga had access to my personal information, including my home address. She started off today's session by peering down her glasses at me and saying, "I see you live only 10 minutes away from your work." I blushed, realizing that I had been caught in a lie. Then, I started babbling and stuttering about how I had done my homework: my bike was tuned up; my coffee was all set up; my gym bag was nearly ready to go... I added that I had taken a very long walk with Conch Shell. She said, "You seem really proud of yourself." I told her that I felt I was following the plan quite successfully. She said, "Your homework this week is to bike home the long way -- and I mean the long way. I nodded. Then, I said, "I think it would be good if I kept a little notebook of all this." She laughed and said, "You seem to like notebooks, and these kinds of things, don't you?... Sure keep a notebook, why not?" The next time I see Olga is after the July 1st long weekend. This is when she wants to see real progress.

3 comments:

coyote said...

Among the equine training types with whom I have a nodding acquaintance, Aggie, this is the part that is known as breaking the horse's spirit, so it can be saddled and trained. Just make sure ya don't get rode hard and put away wet. And avoid snaffle bits wherever possible....

The Chair said...

Aggie,

I'm concerned about this dynamic between you and Olga. The lying; how you seem to walk on egg shells in her presence; your need to please her. I'm worried that these methods are only making her a co-culprit in your life script which will eventually lead you into a shame spiral.

The Independent Observer said...

Ask yourself this, Agatha: is Olga's brow-beating style motivating you to tone up, or is it turning you off the whole idea? If you can channel her mild bullying into something positive, it just might be worth it. But if she's annoying you, maybe you should wait till Carlos can squeeze you into his schedule.